The city that never sleeps
By Rhianna Busler
After a popular trial run, city goers can rest assured that all night weekend public transport in and out of the CBD has been extended for a further six months.
The State Government last month announced that the all-night public transport, which started at the beginning of this year, would continue to run on Friday and Saturday nights through next summer and autumn.
With a significant average of 35,000 Melburnians using Night Network to get home every weekend it is no surprise that an extension has been issued.
This extension will mean that more than 20 per cent of passengers in hospitality, essential services, shift-work or other industries operating overnight will benefit immensely from the popular trial.
With the new extension in place, workers can jump on one of 300 overnight train services, 250 tram services or around 500 bus and coach services to get home when their shift ends.
“People will be able to enjoy the world’s most liveable city for longer this summer and shift workers will continue to have access to the trains, trams and buses they need to get home,” Premier Daniel Andrews said.
Minister for Transport, Jacinta Allan, said: “The six-month extension will give us a chance to properly assess the trial over a full year, and give certainty to event organisers and passengers in the lead up to the new year.”
The all night transport on weekends has been extended until June next year.
For timetables and more information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au/night-network