Local News
Food relief motion passes after turbulent week for council and Salvation Army
A City of Melbourne push to shore up after-hours food relief has received overwhelming support from councillors following a turbulent week of public debate over the future of the Salvation Army’s central-city services.
Latest
EastEnders to host Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor
Inner-city locals will have a rare opportunity to hear directly from Melbourne’s two senior civic leaders when EastEnders hosts Lord Mayor Nick Reece and Deputy Lord Mayor Roshena Campbell on Monday, August 17.
Read MoreFarewell CBD News – but not goodbye
After 12 years and 133 editions, CBD News signs off not with a goodbye, but a new beginning, as it consolidates with its sibling Hyperlocal mastheads under a new citywide publication, The Melburnian.
Read MoreKnowing more about brain injury
Brain injuries can happen to anyone, and while the Melbourne CBD-based self-advocacy organisation Brain Injury Matters (BIM) faces an uncertain future, it wants to see more public education about this type of trauma.
Read MoreCamillo says council delivering on safety and cleaning
Two years into the current council term, City of Melbourne safety and cleaning portfolio lead Cr Rafael Camillo says Town Hall has moved beyond “talking about the problems” and is delivering practical responses to the issues that dominated the 2024 election.
Read MoreNew Flinders St health hub to open later this year
A new community health hub aimed at supporting some of Melbourne’s most vulnerable people is expected to open on Flinders St later this year, as the state government continues to roll out its response to drug harm in the CBD.
Read MoreChief Commissioner active in CBD arrest
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush took a hands-on role in a CBD arrest on Wednesday, July 15, police said, when he happened to be driving by a man carrying a chisel who was being chased by officers.
Read MoreTwenty-year-old criminal “tasker” arrested over firebombings
Police have made what they are describing as “the most consequential arrest” so far in relation to the recent spate of firebombings of hospitality venues around Melbourne.
Read MoreBefore we put another tower on Melbourne’s front door, we should ask who gets to decide
Thirty years ago, Melbourne made a planning decision that would fundamentally reshape its civic landscape. It chose to tear down two office towers.
Read MoreOpen House offers a look behind the city’s closed doors
Seeing behind the scenes of some of Melbourne’s best-known venues and buildings can change the way people experience the city, Open House Melbourne boss Tania Davidge says ahead of the organisation’s annual architecture weekend from July 24 to 26.
Read More
Susan Riley calls time on council
Download the Latest Edition