Arts & Culture » History

Old Melbourne Law Court

Old Melbourne Law Court

June 22nd, 2022 - Dr Cheryl Griffin

This unpretentious wooden building with veranda nestled in among much taller, more impressive edifices was one of the earliest public buildings in Melbourne. Located on the north-west corner of Russell and La Trobe streets, its foundation stone was laid in 1842 and the building was completed in 1843. Its style speaks to its age.

Latest

The three “Rs”: school’s in at the Old Model School, Spring St

May 25th, 2022 - Dr Cheryl Griffin

In September 1854, Patrick Davitt and his wife Ellen began their work of instilling the fundamentals of every basic education – the three “Rs” (Reading, Writing and Arithmetic) – on the children who attended the newly-built Model School in Spring St.

Read More

The Howitt family’s life in the inner city in pre-goldrush times

April 27th, 2022 - Dr Cheryl Griffin

When Godfrey Howitt, his brother Richard and other members of their family decided to settle in Port Phillip in April 1840, Godfrey brought a home with him and that is what you see here.

Read More

The grandeur of Spring St, early autumn 1899

March 23rd, 2022 - Dr Cheryl Griffin

The wealth and extravagance of the 1880s, the era of Marvellous Melbourne, was long gone when this photograph was taken, but it is still evident in the two main buildings you see here – the Grand Hotel on the left and the Princess Theatre on the right.

Read More

A stroll along Collins St, 1900

February 24th, 2022 - Dr Cheryl Griffin

Collins St has long been considered Melbourne’s most fashionable street and these smartly dressed pedestrians reflect the street’s status as a popular place to shop at higher end stores like George’s Emporium, the city’s most elegant store, and at the many milliners, costumiers and glove-makers that lined the street. Collins St was the place to be seen.

Read More
Livin’ in the ‘70s

Livin’ in the ‘70s

October 2nd, 2018 - CBD News
Like us on Facebook