Greenline, Queen Victoria Market headline the council’s draft budget as rate rise returns

87_Council-Budget-2.jpg
87_Council-Budget-1.jpg
87_Floating-Wetlands.jpg
David Schout

A record infrastructure spend will see the City of Melbourne pump $50 million and $40 million respectively into the Queen Victoria Market renewal and landmark Greenline project over the next 12 months, in a 2022-23 draft budget that signalled a return to rate rises for locals.

The council’s latest budget, released on May 17, also responded to a growing need to keep the CBD clean and presentable for large-scale events, with the council beefing up its rapid response graffiti removal team.

The investment in Greenline, a proposed four-kilometre green trail along the north bank of the Yarra River, is the biggest signal yet of the council’s intentions for a project it says would be the city’s “biggest transformation” since the opening of Federation Square in 2002.

The $40 million investment in the next year will be spent to deliver floating wetlands and begin transforming almost 600 metres of the river’s edge at Birrarung Marr.

The council has proposed funding one-third of the $300 million project and will push the state and federal governments to similarly contribute $100 million each.

The newly elected federal Labor government has pledged $20 million to kickstart work on the pathway, which would run from Birrarung Marr all the way to the Bolte Bridge.

The council’s largest ever investment, the Queen Victoria Market precinct renewal, also benefitted in the latest budget, with a further $50 million pledged over the next 12 months.

Works to restore the market’s heritage sheds will be completed within the year, along with the revamped Food Hall, while construction will begin on upgrades to the Queen St streetscape, Northern Shed and Trader Shed.

However, the news wasn’t so good for local residents and businesses already concerned about the rising cost of living, after the City of Melbourne announced a 1.75 per cent rate rise — its first announced increase since 2019.

In 2020, within months of Melbourne’s first COVID-19 lockdown, the council announced a freeze on rate increases, while in 2021 it passed on a discount to both residential and commercial ratepayers that saved the majority of ratepayers between $10 and $50.

However, this year it opted to increase rates — which contribute around two-thirds of council revenue — in line with the rate cap rise announced by the state government late last year.

The City of Melbourne did, however, announce a rate discount of up to $247 for pensioners, which it said was the most generous in the state. 

Across the municipality, the council’s latest budget featured a record $837.8 million council spend in the next financial year.

“This is a landmark budget that restores city confidence and continues to invest in Melbourne’s momentum,” Lord Mayor Sally Capp said.

“We’ve designed a budget that delivers on what matters most – making our city cleaner, delivering more events and bringing people back to the city.”     

 

We’re investing to grow our economy beyond pre-pandemic levels and create more jobs, more events and more amenities for our residents, traders and visitors.

 

The council had expected to return to surplus in the upcoming financial year, but this has now been pushed back to 2023-24.

The underlying deficit announced on May 17 was $11.3 million.

According to the budget papers, this was due to the “unforeseen impacts of the Omicron variant and the sixth COVID-19 lockdown in 2021”.

The council’s bottom line, however, would be significantly bolstered by a projected $25 million increase in parking fines and parking fee income compared with the 2021-22 financial year. This was due to an expected rise in CBD visitation.

Cr Capp referred to “robust internal discussions” at Town Hall surrounding the budget and acknowledged the need to “tighten our belts as an organisation.”

“There’s a lot of pushing and shoving that goes on to get the best results we possible can from what is still a tight financial situation at the City of Melbourne,” she conceded at a May 17 Future Melbourne Committee meeting held in Docklands.

However, the Lord Mayor said that despite this, the council was buoyed by the strong return of visitors during recent large-scale events such as the Comedy Festival, Formula 1 Grand Prix, AFL games and performances of Hamilton and Moulin Rouge! The Musical.

Cr Capp revealed that on the Saturday prior to the budget being released (May 14), the city had seen a 172 per cent increase on numbers on even pre-pandemic levels.

“We are getting our mojo back, and our events calendar has really driven a lot of that visitation and return to the city. It’s underpinned ‘COVID-caution’ turning into ‘COVID-confidence’ and we are seeing the results in our foot traffic.”

Greens councillor Rohan Leppert, while supporting the budget, was critical of investment in cycling infrastructure, which was considerably less than what has recently been committed in neighbouring states.

The Liberal NSW government recently committed $960 million over four years for active transport upgrades in Greater Sydney, while the recent Victorian budget included just $7 million for cycling.

Similarly, he said the City of Sydney recently committed $69 million over four years, which dwarfed the City of Melbourne’s recent budget allocation of $18.2 million.

“I’m going to support this budget, but I don’t think that’s enough,” he said.

“We have considered the last two years worth of active transport improvements in the City of Melbourne to be a peak, but we can’t consider it a peak — that needs to be the new normal.”

An emotional Cr Leppert, speaking on the same night a cyclist was killed at the intersection of La Trobe and King Street in the CBD, said further investment was crucial.

“If we are truly going to make the most of the finite road space in our municipality and make our streets as safe as they possibly can, we have to lift the spending on active transport to make the city safe for everyone.”

Community feedback on the draft budget can be provided on the Participate Melbourne website until June 14, before the final budget will be presented to the council for adoption on June 28.

Deputy Lord Mayor Nicholas Reece said this phase was important, and that the council was receptive to changes.

“We do really, really, really value your feedback,” Cr Reece said.

“Think about the things you care about in your community. Ask us why something you really care about isn’t supported, or is not supported enough, in the budget. Put ideas to us — we listen to them, we will assess them.” •

To have your say: participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au

Laneway management is shambolic

Laneway management is shambolic

July 27th, 2022 - Adrian Doyle
Ashley Davies

Ashley Davies

July 27th, 2022 - Chris Mineral
Like us on Facebook