Yarra Turning Basin, 1906
This elevated view, looking west along the Yarra River and Flinders St, taken from the Commercial Travellers’ Club (now the Rendezvous Hotel), shows (left to right): Banana Alley (beneath the railway yards), the railway viaduct (connecting Flinders St and Spencer St stations), Queens Bridge with the Yarra Turning Basin beyond.
The Turning Basin (also known as the Swinging Basin) was the furthest point that ships could navigate up the river. It was a natural river washout as the tides slapped against a natural bluestone barrier across the Yarra at Market St, which maintained fresh water on the upstream side.
The washout was progressively widened and deepened so that boats could turn around at the wharves in the vicinity.
It holds a busy program of lectures, exhibitions and events.
For further information: www.historyvictoria.org.au.
239 A’Beckett St. Ph: 9326 9288